Acadia Broadcasting is a growing media company with radio stations in Atlantic Canada and Northwestern Ontario. In each of our markets, our business is focused on being the local community voice for entertainment, news and events.
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Multimedia Journalist to join our regional news team at 101.5 The Hawk in Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia. We are looking for someone with a passion for storytelling with a diverse set of journalism skills. Our newsroom is changing rapidly, so our reporters must be able to adapt quickly and have a demonstrated mastery of social media and cross-media newsgathering.
The main responsibilities of this role include:
- Research and writing of local and regional news.
- Create web stories for our radio station websites and social media platforms.
- Prepare stories for broadcast lasting 35-40 seconds.
- Continually seek multimedia storytelling opportunities, while covering events that will enhance our coverage and content across all platforms.
- Work with a regional team of information professionals and provide support in other regions as needed.
You will work closely and report to the Regional Information Manager. Here is what we are looking for:
- Someone with strong interviewing, writing and editing skills.
- Understanding and proficiency in distributing content through social media channels.
- Someone who strives to build and maintain positive relationships in the community by attending events, community meetings, and other public appearances.
- A hard worker who can be flexible and adapt to changing priorities on the fly, including breaking news outside normal business hours.
- Degree in journalism or digital media, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Knowledge and experience of industry software including Burli and WideOrbit would be
considered an asset.
- A valid driver’s license.
What you will receive:
A comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, accidental death coverage, annual incentive program and company-matched retirement savings plan. Our journalists will receive a company-provided smartphone and laptop.
If you have a passion for storytelling and are motivated to be part of the community, we’d love to hear from you. We strive to be the best radio station in all the markets we serve through quality local programming, achieving positive results for advertisers and rewarding employee excellence. If you are interested in joining our team, please apply with a CV and cover letter and include any relevant SoundCloud or YouTube demo links, as well as writing samples.
Acadia Broadcasting is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity within our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, alumni status combatant or disability status.