Hawai’i Public Radio is seeking a Digital News Producer to join our growing Newsroom. Yes, “radio” is in the organization’s name, but HPR is looking to expand its reach and tell stories in new and unique ways. The digital space gives us the ability to tell stories with photos, videos, and text, but at the heart of HPR is great audio storytelling. Our goal is for our audience to access HPR content when, where and how they want.
You will work with colleagues to highlight our reports and help expand the content and context of our online/digital platforms, while keeping in mind the needs and interests of our island community across the world. ‘State. The goal is to deliver HPR’s award-winning journalism through several different channels and grow our audience beyond traditional radio listeners.
- Experience with digital platforms and their use in news organizations.
- Experience in journalism, teamwork and producing content to deadlines.
- Experience with Chartbeat, Google Analytics and website traffic analysis.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, demonstrated judgment in the news.
- Knowledge of Hawaii’i.
- Knowledge of content management systems and AP style is a must. Knowledge of public radio and Adobe Audition is a plus.
- Willingness to pick up the phone, speak and seek information from a wide range of people, from government officials to community activists, scientists to business leaders, underrepresented voices and listeners with ideas .
- Work with journalists, producers and editors to develop and publish news content on HPR’s digital platforms, including but not limited to the website homepage, the application of the station, NPR One and social media accounts. Helps find photos and other relevant graphics to enhance the web story.
- Work with the news team to highlight and elevate special content using the most appropriate digital platforms.
- Maintain schedule of web postings, article updates, special coverage promotions and other content.
- Research, showcase, and manage digital products to enhance HPR’s content distribution, such as podcasts and email newsletters
- Maintain current and relevant local news content on station website and major social media pages. Write appropriate, compelling, and SEO-optimized headlines.
- Rotate NPR, AP and other relevant partner content through the daily news feed.
- Edit broadcast audio recordings for upload to the station’s website and NPR One.
- Be alert and responsive to breaking news and development of importance to our community of listeners and write/update stories as needed.
- Imagine and create original content as needed to complement other stations’ coverage.
- Assist in the production of HPR’s weekly e-newsletter, Island Insider.
- Track digital audience trends and other news content engagement metrics.
- Participate in the evolution of digital coverage on HPR; open to new approaches to storytelling and audience engagement.
- Monitor the station’s social media accounts and emails for news and listener interactions.
- Work collaboratively with other departments, including Marketing and Membership, on station-wide digital priorities and strategy
- Participate in HPR fundraising campaigns, as needed
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Vice President and News Director Bill Dorman: firstname.lastname@example.org.