By ANDREW DALTON
AP Entertainment Editor
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The family of a cinematographer shot dead by Alec Baldwin on the set of the movie “Rust” has agreed to settle a lawsuit against the actor and the film’s producers, and production will resume on the project. in January.
“We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, in our wrongful death case against the producers of Rust, including Alec Baldwin,” said Matthew Hutchins, widow of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, on Wednesday. in a press release. “As part of this settlement, our case will be rejected. Filming of Rust, which I will now produce, will resume with all original lead actors on board, in January 2023.”
The deal is rare positive news for Baldwin, who has had a turbulent year since the Oct. 21 shooting. The actor, who is also the film’s producer, was pointing a gun at Hutchins when it exploded, killing her and injuring the director, Joel Souza. They had been inside a small church during setup to film a scene.
Baldwin said the gun accidentally detonated and he didn’t pull the trigger. But a recent FBI forensic report found the gun could not have fired unless the trigger was pulled.
“I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or blaming (the producers or Mr. Baldwin),” said Matthew Hutchins, who was a plaintiff in the lawsuit with him and Halyna Hutchins’ 9-year-old son. , in a statement. “We all think Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.
Baldwin’s attorney, Luke Nikas, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
But in a statement to Deadline, which first reported on the settlement agreement, he said: ‘Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained a specific desire to do what is best for the son. of Halina. We are grateful to all those who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.