more perfect union
Position Title : Social News Producer
Reports to: Senior Director of Video Strategy
Wage scale: $85,000
Applications will be accepted for this position on a rolling basis.
More Perfect Union is an advocacy and journalism organization whose mission is to empower the working class. We cover political, political, labor, trade and economic news through a class lens, and we combine our reporting with activism to help workers win political fights. Launched in February 2021, the More Perfect Union cover has garnered over 100 million video views and hundreds of thousands of social media followers.
We are hiring a Social News Producer to lead our real-time news coverage on social media, specifically Twitter. Our social accounts are already powerful tools to advance our original video stories. We are looking for a news junkie with exceptional writing and research skills to expand their reach – to turn our social accounts (especially Twitter) into hubs for breaking news and emerging scoops, studies, polls, TV clips, viral videos, etc. relevant to our mission.
- Monitor a wide range of sources closely – media, news wires, trade publications, newscasts, legislative hearings, etc. – for important, interesting or underreported information that More Perfect Union should raise
- Scour social media, Reddit and similar sources to find compelling or newsworthy user-generated content relevant to our mission (e.g. videos or photos of workers documenting injustice, images of activism union, political demonstrations)
- Write accurate, engaging, and highly shareable tweets and other social media content to elevate those stories and scoops through a class lens
- Check and report news scoops and other leads as needed
- Consistently adhere to strict editorial standards for accuracy and credibility
- Seek and leverage data insights to inform our content creation decisions
- Assist with other aspects of social distribution, including content planning, community management, and optimizing posts for engagement and searchability
- Work with producers and the social media team to identify key stats, quotes, and other interesting elements from More Perfect Union’s original reports to highlight on graphics, text messages, and other media content social
- Operate in an agile and fast-paced environment
- Perform other assigned duties
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in a news, media or defense organization as a journalist or content producer. Experience covering political and economic issues is preferred
- Extremely active consumer of news content on Twitter and other social media, with a deep understanding of how content breaks through on various platforms, and a nuanced understanding of what types of content work well on respective platforms and how to use various platforms to search for specific information type of content
- Experience using research and other remote reporting skills to drive stories forward
- Experience using social media analytics to inform content strategy
- Passion for experimenting with new and emerging social media platforms and coverage formats
- Enthusiasm for producing rigorous journalism that features strong storytelling and has real-world impact
- A broad interest in progressive politics and advocacy, organizing labor, electoral politics, and the policy-making process at the local, state, and federal levels
At More Perfect Union, we strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and fairness in all aspects of our work. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and transgender status), age, physical condition or mental disability, post-secondary education status, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or future service in uniformed services , or any other feature protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage members of historically underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Plus Perfect Union offers a competitive salary and an exceptional benefits package including: health, dental and vision benefits, flexible savings accounts, life insurance, short/long term disability, allowance monthly for home office, paid federal holidays and PTO.